JEL Classification: G01; G10; G17; G21; H12.
Bodretskiy M., Ph.D. in Economics, doctoral student, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ukraine
INFLUENCE OF DEVELOPMENT OF SALES NETWORKS ON SUSTAINABILITY OF THE BANKING INSTITUTION
Introduction. The article presents data on the situation in the banking market of Ukraine (by the results of the 1st quarter of 2018). It has been determined that the stability of Ukrainian banking institutions was immediately affected by several factors, such as: the global financial crisis, the unstable political situation in the country, sharp depreciation of the domestic currency (hryvna), the decline of production, loss of controllability of a number of territories, etc. All this has led to the fact that the number and quality of banking institutions in the state have changed.
Purpose. The purpose of the study is to determine the current situation on the Ukrainian banking market and to analyze the stability of banking institutions through alternative instruments.
Results. It is established that the National Bank of Ukraine has optimistic forecasts of the development of the banking system in Ukraine. However, author is noted that the trends of alternative indicators of business activity do not confirm the validity of optimistic expectations. The study describes the existing standard approaches to determining the resilience of banking institutions (calculation of indicators of financial stability of banking institutions) and proposed alternative tools for determining the stability of banking institutions, which involves the analysis of the development of sales networks. The article contains a thorough analysis of existing sales networks of Ukrainian banks. Information is provided on the number of Ukrainian banks at the peak of the Ukrainian banking system and at the time of the survey. Also in article provided information in the dynamics of development of sales networks of Ukrainian banks. It was established that sales networks, as well as the number of banking institutions, decreased by 2.3-2.4 times. The qualitative composition of Ukrainian banks with the grouping according to the ownership form of banks is analyzed. It is established that a small number of state-owned banks (5 institutions) control about 60% of points of sales across the country. In the course of the study, it was found that banking institutions operating today (successfully overcome the negative factors mentioned above) had more than three times developed sales networks, which allows reasonable assumption of the positive impact of the development of sales networks on the sustainability (viability) of banking institutions. As a result of the study, the analysis of operating banks and the establishment of a group of banks that have recently suffered the largest loss of sales networks and accordingly (probably) lost their resilience. In the future, the further fate of the established banking institutions will be analyzed in order to determine the effectiveness of the proposed method of analysis.
Conclusions. The result obtained by the author during the study in the form of a group of banks that require careful monitoring of their activities, will provide an opportunity to verify the validity of the assumption that the banking institution’s sustainability indicators are linked with the indicators of the development of the sales network of the banking institution.
Keywords: bank, management methods, stability of the banking institution, financial market, sales network, sales points, development, viability.
- The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2003), “Commercial Code of Ukraine”, available at: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws (Accessed 23 April 2018).
- The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2001), “On Payment Systems and Money Transfer in Ukraine”, available at: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws (Accessed 23 April 2018).
- Resolution of the Board of the National Bank of Ukraine N 148 (2003), “Instruction On The Procedure for The Opening, Use And Closing of Accounts in National and Foreign Currencies”, available at: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws (Accessed 24 April 2018).
- Resolution of the Board of the National Bank of Ukraine (2004), “Instruction on Cashless Settlements in The National Currency of Ukraine”, available at: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws (Accessed 25 April 2018).
- Resolution of the Board of the National Bank of Ukraine (2017), “On The Conduct of Cash Transactions in The National Currency in Ukraine”, available at: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws (Accessed 25 April 2018).
- Dovgan, Zh. M. (2009), “Financial stability of banking institutions during the economic crisis”, Bulletin of the NBU, vol. 4, pp. 22-26.
- Vavryshchuk, V. (2017), Perspektyvy vidnovlennya bankivsʹkoho kredytuvannya [Prospects for the restoration of bank lending], Report at the meeting with heads of Ukrainian enterprises on development of Ukraine’s agro-sector, available at: https://bank.gov.ua/doccatalog/document?id=60027581
- Zhuribida, N. R. (2017), “Conceptual approaches to the disclosure of the essence and features of the economic security of banks”, Interna-science, vol. 5, pp. 45-49.
- Yakubovsky, S. A. and Sidorova, Zh. A. (2017), “Stability of banking systems of countries of Western Europe in conditions of global instability”, Bulletin of the ONU named after II Mechnikov, vol. 22, no. 9 (62), pp. 16-21.
- Mihaylyuk, R. V. (2017), “Conceptual principles of the mechanism of financial stability management of commercial banks”, World of Finance, vol. 3-4 (4-5), pp. 21-32.
- Kovalenko, V. V. (2017), Problemy stanovlennya ta rozvytku bankivsʹkoyi systemy Ukrayiny [Problems of Formation and Development of the Banking System of Ukraine], Materials of the 2nd International Scientific and Practical Internet Conference in Odessa, ONEU, pp. 7-13.
- Primak, Y. R. (2017), Audyt finansovoyi stiykosti bankivsʹkykh ustanov: perspektyvy rozvytku [Audit of financial stability of banking institutions: prospects of development], Materials of the International sciences internet conference in Kyiv, Vadym Hetman Kyiv National Economic University, pp. 176-178.
- Primak, Yu. R. (2017), “Analysis of business activity, image and reputation: their influence on financial stability of the bank”, Economic forum, vol. 2, pp. 330-337.
- Tabenska, Yu. V. (2017), “Reliability and Reliability of Financial Institutions in the Period of System Instability”, Scientific Bulletin of Kherson State University, vol. 27, pp. 148-152.
- Shkodin, H. (2017), Otsinka finansovoyi stiykosti bankivsʹkoyi systemy Ukrayiny [Estimation of financial stability of the banking system of Ukraine], Materials of the 2nd All-Ukrainian Scientific and Practical Conference in Uzhgorod, Publishing house “Goverla” of UzhNU, pp. 348-350.
- Bodretskiy, M. V. (2018), “Practical Methods of Banking Management: Practice of Application”, Modern Economics, vol. 7, pp. 32-40.