JEL Classification: C60; C80.
Polchanov A., Candidate of Economics, Associate Professor, Associate Professor of the Department of Finance and Credit, Zhytomyr State Technological University, Zhytomyr, Ukraine
Polchanov O., Post-graduate student of the Department of Software Engineering, Zhytomyr State Technological University, Zhitomir, Ukraine
PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS OF USING DATA SCIENCE IN DOMESTIC FINANCIAL AND ECONOMIC RESEARCHES
Introduction. Currently, domestic financial and economic studies have clearly traced the tendency to actively use of mathematical tools in response to the growth of amounts of data characterizing processes and phenomena in society, as well as the necessary for their analysis of the power of computer technology, which, in turn, requires knowledge of scientists not only in the subject field, but also in information technology. Given the particular relevance of using the possibilities of data science in the research of domestic scientists in accordance with global trends.
Purpose. The purpose of the article is to determine the problems and prospects of using data science in domestic financial and economic research.
Results. The article deals with the content of data science, its connection with programming, mathematics and statistics, as well as its distinction from traditional research. In addition, the problems of using data science in domestic financial and economic researches were identified, including the excessive mathematical formalization of the relationship between financial indicators, the risk of erroneous specification of econometric models, the absence of clear boundaries of the application of the revealed patterns and the area of responsibility for the results obtained, as well as insufficient level of qualification of scientists in interdisciplinary research. Appropriate recommendations have been made to address some of them.
An overview of software used by domestic scientists, from the point of view of their convenience and functionality, is not left out of consideration.
Conclusions. Prospects for the development of domestic financial science are inextricably linked with the level of professional training of scientists, especially young ones, and the system of stimulation of their activities. That is why the strategic priority in the conduct of financial and economic research should be the introduction of information technology in scientific activities, in accordance with the world trends, promotion of academic mobility, as well as the existence of appropriate material and technical base.
Keywords: data science, finance, research, quantitative approaches in economics.
- Kyiv School of Economics (2018), “Magísters’kí programi KSE“, available at: http://www.kse.org.ua/ru/education/ma-in-business-financial-economics/new-tracks/ (Accessed 7 April 2018).
- Kharkiv National University of Economics (2018), “Data Science v biznes-ekonomi“, available at: http://goo.gl/QKJGWX (Accessed 7 April 2018).
- Ivan Franko National University of Lviv (2018), “Den’ bakalavrskoy programmy Data Science & Intelligent Systems“, available at: http://www.lnu.edu.ua/den-bakalavrskoji-prohramy-data-science-intelligent-systems (Accessed 7 April 2018).
- Gnot, T. V. and Negrey, M. V. (2017), “Alhorytmy Data Science u modeliuvanni biznes-protsesiv“, Ekonomika i suspilstvo, vol. 12, pp. 743-751.
- Ivakhnenkov, S. V. and Konber, J. (2015), “Pidkhody vchenykh SShA do metodolohii nauky: plan vyvchennia z metoiu reformuvannia doslidzhen biznesu v Ukraini“, Naukovi zapysky NaUKMA. Ekonomichni nauky, vol. 172, pp. 33-38.
- Kornyliuk, A. V. (2016), “Data Science u korporatyvnykh finansakh, available at: http://ir.kneu.edu.ua/handle/2010/19179 (Accessed 4 April 2018).
- Sutter, D. & Pjesky, R. (2007), Where would Adam Smith publish today? The near absence of math-free research in top journals, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 4(2), pp. 230-240.
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (2015), “Pro zatverdzhennia pereliku haluzei znan i spetsialnostei, za yakymy zdiisniuietsia pidhotovka zdobuvachiv vyshchoi osvity“, available at: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/266-2015-%D0%BF (Accessed 7 April 2018).
- Cleveland, W. S. (2001), “Data science: an action plan for expanding the technical areas of the field of statistics“, International statistical review, vol. 69(1), pp. 21-26.
- Barber, M. (2018), “Data science concepts you need to know! Part 1“, available at: https://towardsdatascience.com/introduction-to-statistics-e9d72d818745 (Accessed 7 April 2018).
- Andriushchenkov, A. (2017), “Rol makroekonomichnoho prohnozu v pryiniatti monetarnykh rishen“, available at: https://bank.gov.ua/doccatalog/document?id=59564519 (Accessed 7 April 2018).
- Lysenok, O. V. (2014), “Theory and methodology of management of financial and economic activity of banks”, Ph.D. Thesis, Money, Finance and Credit, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Kravets, R. A. (2016), “Financial forecasting of the development of the real economy sector of Ukraine” Ph.D. Thesis, Money, Finance and Credit, Lviv, Ukraine.
- Havryliak, T. A. (2017), “Financial potential of investment activity of insurers in the economy”, Ph.D. Thesis, Money, Finance and Credit, Lviv, Ukraine.
- Volkovsky, E. I. (2016), “Financial potential of local self-government (for example, the capital of Ukraine – cities of Kiev)”, Ph.D. Thesis, Money, Finance and Credit, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- NSSMC (2015), “Pro zatverdzhennia Polozhennia pro poriadok provedennia konkursu z vyznachennia upovnovazhenykh reitynhovykh ahentstv ta poriadok vedennia Derzhavnoho reiestru upovnovazhenykh reitynhovykh ahentstv“, available at: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z1112-17 (Accessed 7 April 2018).
- Rurik (2016), “Explaining the causes of default of issuers (debt obligations) with long-term credit rating of investment level for the first half of 2016“, available at: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z1112-17 (Accessed 7 April 2018).