|JEL Classification: H26, O19, K33, C19, C10
Zhuchkov Anton, PhD student, University of the State Fiscal Service of Ukraine, Irpin, Ukraine
Ways to Ensure the Economic Security of the State Using the Practical Experience
of Customs Services of Some Countries
Annotation. Introduction. As fraudulent trade on the whole and misdeclaration peculiarly are regarded to be the most negative factors influencing national and world economics, the effective measures to counteract their disadvantageous impact are of great importance. Problem of misinvoicing has been studied by many researchers including special investigations undertaken by international anti-fraud organizations such as European Anti-Fraud Office, Global Integrity and others. Scientific theoretical and empirical methods of research are usually used, such as comparative analysis and mathematical statistics, which illuminated a lot of evidence facts of over and under invoicing by export and import used to move money across the borders, evade taxes or reduce tax liabilities.
Purposee. The objective of this research is to analyze promising approaches of different countries used to combat fraud and ensure safe international trade as well as define the most effective instruments which should be implemented by the State Customs Service of Ukraine to ensure enhancing the customs valuation control measures.
Methods. To accomplish the research task, general scientific methods were applied, such as inductive logic, comparative analysis, classification and generalisation.
Results. The World Customs Organization concept of effective and transparent revenue collection is comprehensively examined in this paper focusing special attention on the implementation of international requirements to customs valuation procedure in Ukraine. Certain practical instruments were proposed to diminish the destructive effects and enhance the efficiency of customs control facilities. The main stages of creation and introduction of the national customs valuation database of goods as an effective tool of risks-oriented customs control are investigated. Shortcomings of the existing mechanisms affecting the feasibility of practical implementation of such elements in Ukraine are identified. The necessity of transformation of the existing system of customs value control is evidenced in the view of ensuring economic and customs security of the state and simplifying foreign trade procedures. Good practices of other countries on overcoming and stopping fraudulent importers’ activities are examined and the possibility of introducing their elements into customs authorities of Ukraine is studied.
Conclusions. The article identifies the main directions of ensuring the effective functioning of the customs risk management system in the field of customs valuation control in Ukraine. The possibilities of the implementation model proposed by WCO has been estimated. The advantages and disadvantages of different types of price databases used by customs authorities of other countries have been revealed in the article. The main assumptions concerning the development of customs valuation control strategies have been evidenced by good practice cases. As a result a promising strategy is outlined for the development of new methods of customs valuation control in Ukraine.
Keywords: customs valuation; control, fair prices; national customs declarations database.
- Тrade based money laundering. (2006). FATF/OECD. URL https://www.fatf-gafi.org/publications/methodsandtrends/documents /trade-basedmoneylaundering.html
- Directorate-General for Internal Policies of the Union (European Parliament). (2021). VAT fraud, Publication office of the EU. URL: https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/42826c40-e888-11e8-b690-01aa75ed71a1/language-en
- The OLAF report (2018). URL: https://ec.europa.eu/anti-fraud/sites/antifraud/files/olaf_report_2018_en.pdf
- Annual report of the Court of Auditors concerning the financial year 2017, (2017).URL: https://www.eca.europa.eu/Lists/ ECADocuments/annualreports-2017/annualreports-2017-EN.pdf
- Zhuchkov, A. (2020). Analysis of current problems on customs valuation in Ukraine and possible measures combat fraud by customs valuation in the context of GATT and WTO Agreement on customs. Customs Scientific Journal, No. 2. doi : https://doi.org/10.32836/2308-6971/2020.2.7
- Report From The Commission To The European Parliament And The Council 29th Annual Report On The Protection Of The European Union’s Financial Interests — Fight Against Fraud – 2017. (2018). European Commission. URL: https://ec.europa.eu/anti-fraud/sites/antifraud/files/pif_report_2017_en.pdf
- Report from the Commission to the European Parliament and the council 30th Annual Report on the Protection of the European Union’s financial interests – Fight against Fraud Annual Report 2018. (2019). European Commission. URL: https://ec.europa.eu/anti-fraud/about-us/reports/communities-reports_en
- World Trade Organization. (2010). Dispute Settlement DS366: Colombia — Indicative Prices and Restrictions on Ports of Entry, Report of Panel. URL: https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/cases_e/ds366_e.htm
- World Trade Organization. (2001). Dispute Settlement 34 Turkey — Restrictions on Imports of Textile and Clothing Products. URL: https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/cases_e/ds34_e.htm
- World Trade Organization. (2021). URL: https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/dispu_status_e.htm
- Import procedures: shortcomings in the legal framework and an ineffective implementation impact the financial interests of the EU. (2015). Office of the European Union. URL: https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/e9166b29-af5d-11e8-99ee-01aa75ed71a1
- World Customs Organizations Revenue Package. (2018). http://www.wcoomd.org/en/topics/key-issues/revenue-package/revenue-package-overview.aspx
- International Сhamber of Сommerce Policy Statement. (2015). URL: https://iccwbo.org/publication/icc-policy-statement-on-the-misuse-of-customs-valuation-databases/
- World Customs Organizations WCO Magazine No. 79. (2020). URL: https://mag.wcoomd.org/magazine/wco-news-79/valuation-database-as-a-risk-assessment-tool-ecuador-india-and-kenya-customs-share-their-experience/
- Spyros, A., Domenico, P., Francesca, T. (2015). The estimation of fair prices of traded goods from outlier-free trade data. Publications Office of the European Union. URL: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/publication/estimation-fair-prices-traded-goods-outlier-free-trade-data (Last accessed: 17.03.2020).
- Tools For Reducing Revenue Risks And The Revenue Gap (Ii) Undervaluation Of Textiles/ Italian Experience. (2015). World Customs Organization. URL: https://www.wcoesarocb.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/12-Undervaluation-of-textiles-italian-report-FINAL-EN.pdf
- Zhuchkov, A. S. (2021). Metodyka dzerkaljnogho analizu danykh statystyky zovnishnjoji torghivli jak dijevyj instrument pidvyshhennja efektyvnosti kontrolju za deklaruvannjam mytnoji vartosti v Ukrajini [Methods of mirror analysis of foreign trade statistics data as an effective tool to increase the effectiveness of control over the declaration of customs value in Ukraine]. Efektyvni rishennja v ekonomici, finansakh ta upravlinni: Materialy Mizhnarodnoji naukovo-praktychnoji konferenciji (Odessa, February 5, 2021). Odessa: Eastern European Center for Scientific Research. URL: https://researcheurope.org/product/book-12/ (in Ukrainian)
- Carrère, C. Grigoriou, C. (2015). Can mirror data help to capture informal international trade? Fondation pour les études et recherches sur le développement international. URL: https://ferdi.fr/dl/df-6iH6FxjdWS8K1vAs43xfqnwQ/ferdi-p123-can-mirror-data-help-to-capture-informal-international-trade.pdf (Last accessed: 17.03.2020).
- Illicit Financial Flows via Trade Mis-invoicing Study Report 2018. (2019). World Customs Organizationshttp://www.wcoomd.org/-/media/wco/public/global/pdf/media/newsroom/reports/2018/wco-study-report-on-iffs_tm.pdf?la=en (Last accessed: 17.03.2020).
- Hien, P. T. T., & Hung, N. V. (2020). Applying ‘mirror statistics’ in cross-border trade administration: case of general department of Vietnam customs. World Customs Journal, 41. URL: https://worldcustomsjournal.org/archive/volume-14-number-1-march-2020/
Received: 13 November 2020
How to quote this article?
|Zhuchkov A. (2021). Ways to Ensure the Economic Security of the State Using the Practical Experience of Customs Services of Some Countries. Modern Economics, 25(2021), 64-72. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V25(2021)-10.|