|JEL Classification: M31, C13, C14, I31
Stamat Viktoriia, PhD in Economics, Associate Professor, Department of Management and Marketing, Mykolayiv National Agrarian University, Mykolayiv, Ukraine
Smyrnova Anastasiia, Master Student of Management Faculty, Mykolayiv National Agrarian University, Mykolayiv, Ukraine
City Image Management as a Component of Municipal Marketing
Introduction. In modern conditions of globalization and decentralization, emphasizing the features of certain territories becomes especially important. Each territory, city has certain competitive advantages, the identification and emphasis of which allows you to manage the development of the area. The theoretical and methodological basis of the study is a dialectical method of cognition, a systematic approach to the study of aspects of city image management. The following methods were used during the study: abstract-logical, correlation of qualitative features with determination of Cramer’s coefficient and chi-square; score, Likert scale and semantic differential (in the survey of residents), graphical method.
Purpose. The purpose of scientific work is to develop theoretical and methodological and practical aspects of the city image managing using modern marketing technologies.
Results. The article has evaluated the existing Mykolaiv city image and has substantiated the expediency of its management. As a result of the survey, an image of the city has been formed, which appeared in the imagination of local residents. The key factors for which Mykolaiv should work on image, and the factors forming image of the city according to inhabitants have been revealed. The author’s own method has been used to assess the existing image. This method can be used to assess the image of other cities, as it is universal except for certain features of the city in terms of its characteristics.
Conclusions. The survey revealed a strong relationship between the category of residents and indicators of their attitude to the city. Based on the obtained data, the segmentation of local residents was carried out using socio-demographic and behavioral criteria. Further key steps of management of the existing city image in order to increase the commitment of citizens to Mykolaiv taking into account target segments of the city are developed. The list of Mykolaiv image management measures has been made and grouped taking into account offers of various categories of citizens.
Keywords: city image; city image management; city brand; segmentation; target city segments; “city product”; image events.
- Anholt, S. & Hildret, D. (2010). Brand America: the mother of all brands. Moskow: Good book [in Russ.].
- Bobrovska, O. Y. & Lipovska N. A. (2013). Corporate Image: Theoretical and Methodological Approaches to Formulation. State Administration and Management, 3, 256-267 [in Ukrainian].
- Bondarev, N. (2018). To sell territory is possible only when there is something to sell. Marketing and advertising, 5, 32-33 [in Ukrainian].
- Vazhenina, I. S. (2006). Image and reputation of the territory as the basis for promotion in a competitive environment. Marketing in Russia and abroad, 6, 82-98 [in Russ.].
- Vizgalov, D. (2008). Marketing of the city. Moskow: Foundation “Institute of City Economics” [in Russ.].
- World Tourism Organization. Retrieved from https://www.unwto.org/
- Gorkavyi, V. K. & Yarova, V. V. (2004). Mathematical statistics: Tutoria Кyiv: PH “Professional” [in Ukrainian].
- Karyi, O. I. (2010). Image of the city as a factor of its development. Economic Science, 35–37.
- Krivoshein, V. V. (2014). Image of the city: socio-political dimension. Sociology, 6, 76-82 [in Ukrainian].
- Pankrukhin, A. P. (2004). Marketing Territory: Marketing of a Region. Marketing in Russia and Abroad, 2, 9–11[in Russ.].
- Pastukh, T. Y. (2012). Lviv through the eyes of its residents: the experience of applying the author’s methodology for assessing the image of the city. Visnyk of Kharkiv National University named after V.N. Karazina, 93, 136-140 [in Ukrainian].
- Agustí D. Characterizing the location of tourist images in cities. Differences in user-generated images (Instagram), official tourist brochures and travel guides. Annals of Tourism Research. 2018. №73. 103–115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2018.09.001.
- Kavaratzis, M. (2004). From city marketing to city branding: Towards a theoretical framework for developing city brands. Place Branding, 1, 58–73. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.pb.5990005.
- Molinillo, S., Anaya-Sánchez, R., Morrison, A. Coca-Stefaniak, J. (2019). Smart city communication via social media: Analysing residents’ and visitors’ engagement. Cities, 94, 247-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2019.06.003.
- Priporasa, С. V. (2019). City image, city brand personality and generation Z residents’ life satisfaction under economic crisis: Predictors of city-related social media engagement. Journal of Business Research, 10, 57-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.05.019.
Received: 03 September 2020
How to quote this article?
|Stamat V., Smyrnova A. (2020). City Image Management as a Component of Municipal Marketing. Modern Economics, 23(2020), 194-203. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V23(2020)-31.|