Petrenko Olga, Candidate of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of Economic Theory and Economics of Enterprises, Odessa State Agrarian University, Odessa, Ukraine
Financial and Economic Analysis of the Grain Market as a Precondition for Ukraine’s Food Security
Abstract. Introduction. The issue of national food security of the state is one of the priorities and is conditioned by the strategic weight of grain and legumes production, confirming the state power and authority of Ukraine on the world market. Therefore, it is necessary to assess the state of grain production and monitor world trends in this industry.
Purpose. The purpose of the article is to study the trends in changes in the production of grain and legume crops in Ukraine and to analyze the current factors that influence the need to increase the production of these crops with the aim of strengthening the country’s influence on the world grain market.
Results. The article analyzes the latest trends in the dynamics of grain and legume production in Ukraine. The country has been identified in the ranking of exporters of grain in the world; the structure of production and changes in yields of these crops during the research period has been analyzed. It should be noted that in the issue of grain and legume production, insufficient attention from the state is paid to households. Studies have found that Ukraine’s entry into the world’s three leading exporters of grain and leguminous crops, cause manufacturers to look for ways to increase the production of this product. Compared to the EU countries, the potential of grain yield in Ukraine has an advantage in the world.
Conclusions. It should be noted that the production of grain and leguminous crops in Ukraine is related to the following aspects:
- The promising direction of increasing production is precisely the increase in the volume of leguminous crops, which in recent years have enjoyed high demand in the world market, and small and medium enterprises that can compete with large agricultural enterprises can act as producers.
- In Ukraine, not enough attention is paid to households. Legalization of these farms, as full members of the market; their state support, the opportunity to sell their products to consumers in a civilian way will enable the introduction of a European model of agriculture, the launch of their own agrarian business.
Thus, the analysis of the production of grain and legume products in Ukraine allows us to determine the main factors of influence on the production process and to determine the direction vector in the future production.
Keywords: grain and leguminous crops; production volume; yield; world markets; product structure; grain export; production potential.
- FAO annual foodprice indices (2018). Food fnd Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Retrieved from http://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/foodpricesindex/en/
- Krylova, I. & Hural, Y. (2018). Exporting Capacity of Ukraine in Grain Production Sector. Modern Economics, 12, 120-125. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V12(2018)-18 [in Ukrainian].
- Zlenko, V.A. (2014). Analysis of the dynamics of production and export of grain crops and potatoes in Ukraine. Istoriia nauky i biohrafistyka, 4. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/INB_Title_2014_4_7 [in Ukrainian].
- Kernasyuk, Yu. (2017). Market of niche legumes. Ahrobiznes S’ohodni, 19. Retrieved from http://agro-business.com.ua/agro/ekonomichnyi-hektar/item/8965-rynok-nishevykh-zernobobovykh-kultur.html [in Ukrainian].
- Kernasyuk, Yu. (2018). World grain market: supply and demand. Ahrobiznes S’ohodni, 1/2, 12-16. Retrieved from http://agro-business.com.ua/agro/ekonomichnyi-hektar/item/9352-svitovyi-rynok-zerna-popyt-i-propozytsiia.html [in Ukrainian].
- Maslak, O. (2016). Grain harvest market in 2016. Propozytsiia, 9, 26-30. Retrieved from https://propozitsiya.com/ua/rynok-zerna-vrozhayu-2016-roku [in Ukrainian].
- Petrenko, O.P. (2014). Value of production concentration for grain enterprises. Ekonomika kharchovoi promyslovosti. Ekonomichni nauky, 2(22), 55-59 [in Ukrainian].
- Ukraine in figures 2017. (2018). Statystychnyj zbirnyk. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/druk/publicat/kat_u/publ1_u.htm [in Ukrainian].
- Corn production in Ukraine: growth requires development. (2017). Baker Tilly. Official web-site. Retrieved from http://www.bakertilly.ua/news/id1294 [in Ukrainian].
- Report International Grains Council (IGC). (2018). International Grains Council. Retrieved from http://www.igc.int/ru/Default.aspx
Received: 09 January 2019
How to quote this article?
|Petrenko, O. (2019). Financial and Economic Analysis of the Grain Market as a Precondition for Ukraines Food Security. Modern Economics, 13(2019), 207-212. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V13(2019)-32.|