|JEL Classification: Q10; Q16; Q19; O13
Burliai Oleksandr, PhD (Economics), Professor,Department of business, trade and exchange activities, Uman National University of Horticulture, Uman, Ukraine
Smertenyuk Igor, Higher Education “Doctor of Philosophy”, Uman National University of Horticulture, Uman, Ukraine
Innovations as a Tool of Adaptation of Agricultural Enterprises to Climate Change
Abstract. Introduction. The article considers the role of innovation as a tool for adaptation of agricultural enterprises to climate change. The study found that climate change has become an integral attribute of modernity, which has a significant impact on economic development.
Purpose. The aim of the article is to study the consequences of climate change for the activities of agricultural enterprises, to develop directions for the adaptation of agricultural holdings to climate change and the role of innovation in this process.
Results. In Ukraine, the climate tends to increase air temperature, and the consequence of warming is an increase in the number of dangerous weather events. Climate change is the result not only of natural processes but also of human activity. Climate change has special consequences for the agricultural sector, the feature of which is a significant dependence on natural and climate change. Among them we can note the extension of the growing season for 10-15 days, the acceleration of spring field work for about 3 weeks, the extension of the grazing season, increasing the yield of thermophilic crops and more. However, there are also negative consequences – a shortage of water, the emergence of new thermophilic species of pests and weeds, reducing the area under crops in cool and humid climates, and others. The main directions of adaptation of agricultural enterprises to climate change are highlighted.
Conclusions. The main tool for agricultural enterprises to adapt to climate change should be the introduction of innovations: the use of nanotechnology and biotechnology, digitalization of production and improvement of management processes, introduction of new varieties of crops and animal breeds, improvement of technical support, diversification of energy sources and production technologies.
Keywords: innovations; agricultural enterprises; climate change.
- Burliai, A. P. (2019). Climatic conditions as a natural ecological factor of agricultural development. Zbirnyk naukovykh pracj Umansjkogho nacionaljnogho universytetu sadivnyctva, 98 [in Ukrainian].
- Dem’janenko, S. & Butko V. (2012). Strategy of adaptation of agricultural enterprises of Ukraine to global climate change. Ekonomika Ukrajiny, 6, 66-72 [in Ukrainian].
- Lopatynsjkyj, Ju. (2019). Ecological analysis of sustainable agricultural development in climate change. Ekonomichnyj analiz, 29, 4, 35-42 [in Ukrainian].
- Ostapenko, Ju. (2014). Agri-environmental initiatives in the context of climate change. Aghrosvit, 12, 8-13 [in Ukrainian].
- Prokopenko, K. O. & Udova L. O. (2017). Agriculture of Ukraine: challenges and ways of development in the conditions of climate change. Ekonomika i proghnozuvannja, 1, 92-107 [in Ukrainian].
- Shubravsjka, O. V. & Prokopenko K. O. (2017). Scenario assessments of the development of agricultural production in Ukraine in the context of climate change and environmental constraints. Ekonomika Ukrajiny, 2, 49-60
- Lazutin, I. (2003). Current trends in the development of innovation. Ekonomika i proghnozuvannja, (2), 99-113 [in Ukrainian].
- Roghoza, Je., Verghal K. Ju. (2001). Strategic innovative development of enterprises: models and mechanisms [in Ukrainian].
- Fedulova, I. (2011). Trends in innovation policy and its impact on economic growth. Ekonomika i proghnozuvannja, (2), 63-81 [in Ukrainian].
- Adamenko, I. (2014). Agroclimatic zoning of the territory of Ukraine taking into account climate change. Retrieved from : www.gwp.org/globalassets/global/gwp-cee_files/idmp-cee/idmp-agroclimatic.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Retrieved from: https://www.ipcc.ch. (27.10.2020) [in English].
- How the climate in Ukraine is changing. Oficijnyj portal Ministerstva zakhystu dovkillja ta pryrodnykh resursiv Ukrajiny. Retrieved from: https://mepr.gov.ua/news/35246.html. [in Ukrainian].
- Shumpeter J. (1982). Theory of Economic Development. M.: Prohre [in Russ].
Received: 15 October 2020
How to quote this article?
|Burliai O., Smertenyuk I. (2020). Innovations as a tool of adaptation of agricultural enterprises to climate change. Modern Economics, 23(2020), 26-30. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V23(2020)-04.|