Patyka Nataliia, PhD (Econ.), Associate Professor, National Scientific Centre “Institute of Agrarian Economics”, Kyiv, Ukraine
Prib Kateryna, Doctor of Economic Sciences, Professor, National University of “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”, Kyiv, Ukraine
Livestock Products World Market and Directions for Strengthening of Ukraine’s Positions on it
Abstract. Introduction. The share of livestock products in the Ukraine’s export flows is insignificant due to the relatively low competitiveness and weakness of Ukrainian producers in world markets. Therefore, the livestock development and the exports growth of livestock products are an important strategic task of the Ukraine’s economic policy.
Purpose. To assess Ukraine’s positions on the livestock products world markets and substantiate the directions for their strengthening.
Results. According to the analysis results of the Ukraine’s livestock products exports dynamics, it was concluded that there is a trend towards its gradual unsustainable growth – in 2017 the export volumes exceeded by 1.5 times the same indicator in 2005. However, in the overall structure of Ukrainian exports, livestock products accounts for only 2.6%, which is more 8 times less than the share of crops production. It was estimated that the Ukraine’s share in the livestock products world market is low and in its main segments it does not exceed 0.1-1.0%. The reasons of this situation are: low production concentration, using of outdated animal husbandry technologies, that holds up productivity growth and leads to a relatively high production cost, unsatisfactory level of Ukrainian products logistics to the world market, high epizootic risks, etc. The main directions of Ukraine’s positions strengthening on the livestock products world market were determined, namely, development and stimulating a private entrepreneurial initiative of livestock products producers; providing state support of the livestock products competitiveness in the domestic and foreign markets; improvement of Ukrainian livestock products logistics infrastructure; ensuring the high quality of the produced agricultural livestock products taking into account world standards; expansion of free trade zones, conclusion of international treaties between Ukraine and other states in order to facilitate international trade etc.
Conclusions. Identifying directions of Ukraine’s positions strengthening on the livestock products world markets will allow to develop key priorities for formulation of the competitiveness increasing effective policy of the Ukrainian agricultural products in world markets.
Keywords: directions; livestock products world market; export; competitiveness; positions; Ukraine’s agriculture.
- Borodina, O. Krupin, V. (2018). Is it Possible to Utilise the Agricultural Potential of Ukraine under the Current Agrarian System? EuroChoices, 17 (1), 46-51. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/1746-692X.12151.
- Ghavaza, Je. V. (2015). The world market of milk and dairy products: trends and prospects for Ukraine. Ekonomika APK, 7, 106-113 [in Ukrainian].
- Gharbuz, M. Ju. (2012). The world market of milk and Ukraine’s place in it. Ekonomika ta upravlinnja APK, 9, 20-24 [in Ukrainian].
- Ghorlachuk, M. A. (2013). The Agrarian Market in the Conditions of Globalization: Recurrence of Development, Coexistence and Food Safety. Universytetsjki naukovi zapysky, 2, 219-222 [in Ukrainian].
- Enahoroa, D. Mason-D’Crozb, D. Muld, M. Richa, K. M. Robinsone, T. P. Thorntonf, Ph. & Staala, S. S. (2019). Supporting sustainable expansion of livestock production in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa: Scenario analysis of investment options. Global Food Security, 20, 114–121. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2019.01.001
- Jemcev, V. I. (2013). Ways to revive and develop enterprise competitiveness of meat subindustry of the Ukrainian agricultural and industrial complex in competitive environment. Naukovi praci Nacionaljnogho universytetu kharchovykh tekhnologhij, 48, 96-106 [in Ukrainian].
- Zhylenkova, I. M. (2015). Agrarian capital of Ukraine and world food market: survey statistics of export of separate products (at the end of ХІХ cent. – at the beginning of ХХ of century). Ghileja: naukovyj visnyk, 96, 19–22 [in Ukrainian].
- Karasova, N. (2016). Comparative advantages in international trade of Ukrainian agriculture. Management Theory and Studies for Rural Business and Infrastructure Development, vol. 38, no. 2, 230–239. DOI: 10.15544/mts.2016.18 [In English].
- Kryukova, I. O. Kalyna, T. Ye. Рanteleiev, V. P. Minakova, S. M. (2018). The export potential of the agrarian sector of Ukraine in a competitive environment. Financial and credit activity: problems of theory and practice, vol. 3, no. 26, 196-207. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18371/fcaptp.v3i26.144833 [In English].
- Mjazina, N. B. (2011). Impact of the agrarian market globalization on the domestic market. Ahrosvit, 7, 36–40 [in Ukrainian].
- Prysjazhnjuk, M. (2012). Over the past two years, the Ukraine’s agrarian sector has become a leader among the sectors of the economy. Ukrainian sheep has a significant potential for export of lamb to the international market. Tekhnika i tekhnologhiji APK, 7, 6 [in Ukrainian].
- Rjabchyk, A. V. & Volynecj, O. P. (2014). Market of products of stock-raising in Ukraine: the modern state and prospects of development. Ahrosvit, 11, 38-43 [in Ukrainian].
- Saljman, I. Ju. & Ibatullin, M. I. (2015). The role and position of Ukrainian producers on the world market of meat and meat products. Investyciji: praktyka ta dosvid, 20, 43-46 [in Ukrainian].
- Tyvonchuk, C. V. & Tyvonchuk, Ja. O. (2014).The world market of milk and dairy products: features of its formation and development. Visnyk aghrarnoji nauky Prychornomor’ja,2, 57-64 [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2018). Official web-site. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua [in Ukr.]
- Total world export (2018). The Observatory of Economic Complexity. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/2Hnl1D6 [In English].
- Statistics on merchandise trade (2018). World Trade Organization. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/2T94K67 [In English].
Received: 17 January 2019
How to quote this article?
|Patyka, N. & Prib, K. (2019). Livestock Products World Market and Directions for Strengthening of Ukraines Positions on it. Modern Economics, 13(2019), 194-200. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V13(2019)-30.|