JEL Classіfіcatіon: Z32
Romanova Anna, PhD in Economics, Associate Professor of the Department of Marketing, PR-Technologies and Logistics, Chernihiv National University of Technology, Chernihiv, Ukraine
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7336-1032
MANAGEMENT OF TOURISM INDUSTRY DEVELOPMENT AMIDST ARMED CONFLICTS
Introduction. Starting from 2014, Ukraine has experienced a significant decline in inbound tourism flows, which has badly affected the socio-economic indicators of the country’s development in general. Decrease of the development of the Ukrainian tourism industry is linked to the deterioration of the image of Ukraine in the world due to the perception of danger because of the armed conflict in the Donbass, mass protests in Kyiv, as well as contract killing in the capital. Therefore, to restore the tourism and investment attractiveness of Ukraine, it is necessary to develop effective tools for managing the tourism sector in conditions of armed conflict. Based on the proposed mechanisms, an anti-crisis strategy of tourism branding of Ukraine should be created on the basis of security measures and protection of tourists, as well as the formation of a safe image of the country.
Purpose. The main objective of the article is to study the management of the tourism sector in armed conflicts, as well as to develop recommendations for the development of anti-crisis measures to overcome the negative impact of destabilizing situations on the inbound tourism flows.
Results. The consequences of armed conflicts in different countries of the world in the context of reducing international tourist flows have been researched. A comparative analysis of the fall of the volume of international tourism market because of external armed aggression in Georgia and Ukraine has been done.
The negative impact of armed conflicts on the tourism industry has been analyzed and illustrated. The measures of the Georgian state policy to overcome the negative impact on tourism have been presented. The universal anti-crisis measures for the Tourism Development Strategy have been formulated.
Conclusions. Recommendations on management of tourism development in conditions of armed conflicts are given.
Keywords: tourism industry, armed conflicts, peace tourism, sustainable tourism development, marketing of territories.
- Blanchard, L. and Higgins-Desbiolles, F. (2013), Peace through Tourism, Routledge, Abingdon.
- Leong, A. (2008), “International Tourism and World Peace”, Journal of Macau University of Science and Technology, vol. 2 (2), pp. 38-44.
- Litvin, S. (1998), “Tourism: The World’s Peace Industry?”, Journal of Travel Research, vol. 37, pp. 63–66.
- Moufakkir, O. and J. Kelly (2010), Tourism, Progress and Peace, CAB International, Wallingford.
- Salazar, N. (2006), “Building a ‘Culture of Peace’ through Tourism: Reflexive and analytical notes and queries”, Universitas Humanistica, available at: http://www.scielo.org.co/pdf/unih/n62/n62a12.pdf (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Honey, M., “Tourism: Preventing Conflict, Promoting Peace”, Center for Responsible Travel, available at: https://goo.gl/V4Kndk (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Haessly, J. (2010), “Tourism and a Culture of Peace”, Tourism, Progress and Peace, CABI, Oxon.
- Jafari, J. (1989), “Tourism and peace”, Annals of Tourism Research, vol. 3 (16), pp. 439–443.
- Butler, R. and Suntikul, W. (2012), “Tourism and war”, Routledge, London.
- Parfinenko, A. (2015), “International tourism in Ukraine: geopolitical aspects of the global phenomenon”, Aktual’ni problemy mizhnarodnykh vidnosyn. – 2015, vol. 126, p. 1, pp. 12–23.
- Savchenko, I. A., “Influence of terrorism and military actions on international tourism”, available at: http://esnuir.eenu.edu.ua/bitstream/123456789/11259/1/Savchenko%20I.%20A..pdf (Accessed 25 June 2018)
- Gelantia, T. (2017), “The impact of Tourism”, Forbes Georgia, available at: http://forbes.ge/news/3311/The-impact-of-Tourism (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), available at: http://unwto.org (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- World Economic Forum, available at: https://www.weforum.org (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy [State Statistics Service of Ukraine], available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- OON (1970), Konventsiia pro borot’bu z nezakonnym zakhoplenniam povitrianykh suden [The Convention for the Suppression of Unlawful Seizure of Aircraft], available at: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_167 (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- OON (1963), Konventsiia pro pravoporushennia ta deiaki inshi dii, vchyneni na bortu povitrianoho sudna [The Convention on Offences and Certain Other Acts Committed on Board Aircraft], available at: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_244 (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- OON (1971), Konventsiia pro borot’bu z nezakonnymy aktamy, spriamovanymy proty bezpeky tsyvil’noi aviatsii [The Convention for the Suppression of Unlawful Acts against the Safety of Civil Aviation], available at: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_165 (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- United Nations (1985), UN General Assembly Resolution, available at: http://www.un.org/documents/ga/res/40/a40r006.htm (Accessed 25 June 2018).