|JEL Classification: A10, M40, M41
Peretiatko Yu., PhD (Economics), Associate Professor, Associate Professor of Department of Accounting, Taxation and Auditing, Chernihive Polytechnic National University, Chernihive, Ukraine.
Observance of Materiality in Financial Statements: Theoretical and Practical Aspects
Annotation. Introduction. Observance of materiality in financial reporting allows interested parties to obtain complete, accurate and timely information on the activities of the entity. The level of materiality is established by the enterprise independently taking into account the norms of the current regulatory framework and is approved in the accounting policy. Only under this condition, information about the company’s activities will be of high quality, and stakeholders will be able to obtain complete, accurate and timely information.
Purpose. The purpose of the article is to study compliance with current legislation regarding the consideration of materiality in financial reporting by analyzing the Order on accounting policies in terms of approving it on values of materiality for objects of accounting and business operations.
Results. The article examines the accounting policies of existing enterprises to reflect the qualitative and quantitative indicators of materiality, as well as the presence of a separate paragraph on materiality. The requirements of two normative documents are analyzed, which establish the quantity and qualitative indicators of materiality that employees of the accounting staff must take into account when preparing financial statements and disclosing information about the activities of the enterprise.
Conclusions. A comparison of the requirements of regulations on the establishment of quantitative and qualitative characteristics of materiality showed that the same objects of accounting have different limits of materiality. As a result, accounting staff may manipulate the information in the financial statements. In order to avoid differences in regulations, we propose to harmonize the rules. According to the current legislation, quantitative criteria and qualitative signs of materiality of information about the objects of accounting and business transactions must be approved in the Order on the accounting policy of the enterprise. During the study it was found that in practice, employees of the accounting staff, in most cases, do not attach importance to the proper value. Because only one of the studied Orders about accounting policy contained information on quantitative and qualitative characteristics of materiality completely in accordance with the law. In other Orders, it was either absent or contained in various sections, which complicated the process of obtaining materiality of information. Therefore, we recommend to provide quantitative criteria and qualitative indications of the materiality of the information in a separate section “Materiality of objects of accounting and business transactions” of the Order on accounting policy.
Keywords: materiality; financial statements; accounting policies; material information; accounting.
- Hlyvenko, V. & Len’, V. (2018). Materiality in the accounting of public sector entities. Problemy i perspektyvy ekonomiky ta upravlinnia, 171-183 [in Ukrainian].
- Ozeran A. V. (2011). Materiality and its impact on the relevance and reliability of financial statements. Finansy, oblik i audyt, 17, 309-316 [in Ukrainian].
- Lajchuk S.M. (2014). Objects of materiality in the accounting policy of the enterprise. Visnyk ZhDTU, 1(67), 20-24 [in Ukrainian].
- Kurylo H.M. (2015). The financial statements and materiality in the context of the impact of the information contained in the decision-making. Bukhhalters’kyj oblik, analiz ta audyt: problemy teorii, metodolohii, orhanizatsii, 2, 104-111 [in Ukrainian].
- Kovach S.I. (2014). The concept of materiality in accounting and reporting. Biznes Inform, 6, 284-288 [in Ukrainian].
- Makarenko V.Yu. (2018). Defining materiality as a main principle for the formation of integrated reporting. Biznes Inform, 3, 247-251 [in Ukrainian].
- Ministry of Finance of Ukraine (2013). National standard of accounting 1”General requirements for financial reporting” (Order No. 73, February 07). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0336-13#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Ministry of Finance of Ukraine (2003). “As for the materiality of accounting and reporting” (Order 04230-04108, July, 29). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/v4108201-03#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Ministry of Finance of Ukraine (2013). “Methodical recommendations on the accounting policy of the enterprise and amendments to some orders of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine” (Order 635, June, 27). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/v0635201-13?lang=ru#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Len’ V.S. & Hlyvenko V.V. (2019). Objects of materiality in the accounting of public sector entities. Aktual’nye problemy sovremennoj nauki: sbornik tezisov nauchnyh trudov XLIII Mezhdunarodnoj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii (Har’kov–Vena–Berlin–Astana) [Actual problems of modern science: a collection of abstracts of the XLIII International Scientific and Practical Conference (Kharkov – Vienna – Berlin – Astana]. International Scientific Center for the Development of Science and Technology, C. 53-57 [in Ukrainian].
Received: 23 November 2020
How to quote this article?
|Peretiatko Yu. (2020). Observance of Materiality in Financial Statements: Theoretical and Practical Aspects. Modern Economics, 24(2020), 138-142. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V24(2020)-22.|