|JEL Classification: Н52, I21, Р43
Poltorak A., Doctor of Sciences (Economics), Associate Professor of the Department of Finance, Banking and Insurance, Mykolayiv National Agrarian University, Mykolayiv, Ukraine
Kazemyrchyk M., Applicant of Higher Education, Mykolayiv National Agrarian University, Ukraine
Polishchuk A., Applicant of Higher Education, Mykolayiv National Agrarian University, Ukraine
Priority Threats to Financial Security in the conditions of the Modern Economy Transformation
Abstract. Introduction. The shadow economy is one of the main threats to the financial security of the state. Strengthening Ukraine’s economy is impossible without reducing the level of shadowing. Official data show that at the beginning of 2020 more than a quarter of GDP is in the shadows, but the real level of shadowing, in our opinion, is much higher.
Purpose. The aim of the article is to deepen the theoretical and methodological foundations of substantiation of priority threats to financial security in the conditions of transformation processes in the modern economy, clarification of the optimal method of calculating the shadow economy in Ukraine and monitoring the impact of the shadow sector on financial security of Ukraine.
Results. It was found that the system of threats to the financial security of Ukraine includes trends, phenomena and factors that actually or potentially complicate or make it impossible to preserve national values in the financial sphere and the realization of national interests of Ukraine. Threats to security conditions are considered as certain factors or factors that create a danger, namely the existing and objective probability of negative impact on a complex system. Our own view on the classification of factors influencing the level of financial security is presented. It is noted that most often the factors influencing the level of financial security are interrelated, causing cyclical poverty and a permanently low level of financial security. It is analyzed that today the level of the shadow economy is 25-50%. To create the necessary conditions for reducing the level of the shadow sector of Ukraine’s economy, it is necessary to carry out a number of tax reforms, transformations in the banking system (to increase non-cash transactions, create an open database of NBU and MFIs), anti-corruption measures and more. Systematizing the methodological approaches to the assessment of the shadow sector, it was found that the main methods of assessing the level of the shadow sector are: public expenditure – retail trade; electric; unprofitable enterprises; monetary; method of minimal shadow economy.
Conclusions. It is proved that the level of financial security of the state decreases with increasing level of shadow economy. This is due to the reduction of the tax base and, consequently, to the reduction of tax revenues to the budgets of all levels.
Keywords: financial security; financial security of the state; financial security of households; transformational economy; shadow economy.
- Research of the shadow economy in Ukraine. Retrieved from: https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/doslidjennya-tinovoyi-ekonomiki-v-ukrayini–mayje-chvert-vvp–abo-846-mlrd-griven–perebuvaye-v-tini [in Ukr.].
- Baranov, S. O. Ways of de-shadowing of economic processes. Public administration aspects. Retrieved from: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/233892334.pdf [in Ukr.].
- Kalenyuk, I. V. Assessment of the impact of shadowing of the economy on the financial potential of the territory. All-Ukrainian competition of student research papers. Retrieved from: https://knute.edu.ua/file/NjY4NQ==/28e80262020fe2ebcb162a9d152b7f0c.pdf [in Ukr.].
- Koretskaya, S. O. “Shadow” economy: consequences and methods of overcoming. Scientific Bulletin of DonSU. Series: Economics. Retrieved from: http://www.investplan.com.ua/pdf/20_2011/6.pdf [in Ukr.].
- Kubatko, V. V. State policy of de-shadowing of the economy of Ukraine taking into account economic and environmental factors. Retrieved from: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/324214923.pdf [in Ukr.].
- Poltorak, A. (2019). Finansova bezpeky derzhavy v umovakh hlobalizatsiyi: teoriya, metodolohiya ta praktyka [Financial security of the state in the conditions of globalization: theory, methodology and practice]. Mykolayiv : MNAU. Retrieved from: https://cutt.ly/BgrWXXx [in Ukr.].
- Tyutyunyk, I. V. Scientific Bulletin of UNU. Series: International Economic Relations and the World Economy. Retrieved from: http://www.visnyk-econom.uzhnu.uz.ua/archive/22_1_2018ua/19.pdf [in Ukr.].
- Nominal gross domestic product from 2002 to 2020. Retrieved from: https://index.minfin.com.ua/economy/gdp/ [in Ukr.].
- Gray zone, 5 myths of the Ukrainian shadow economy. Retrieved from: https://project.liga.net/projects/shadow_economy/ [in Ukr.].
- GDP grew by 3.8% in the second quarter. Retrieved from: https://tsn.ua/groshi/popri-zrostannya-tinovoyi-ekonomiki-groysman-rozglediv-yiyi-zmenshennya-1242069.html [in Ukr.].
- Poltorak, A., Palamarchuk, V. & Manukian, T. (2018). Development of the mechanism of lending for higher education as a way to strengthen the level of the state’s financial security. Investytsiyi: praktyka ta dosvid, 23, 44–49. DOI: 10.32702/2306-6814.2018.23.44 [in Ukr.].
- Poltorak, A. & Palamarchuk, V. (2019). Monitoring of Factors Influencing the Level of Ukraine’s Financial Security in Terms of Digitalization. Modern Economics, 18(2019), 130-137. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V18(2019)-20 [in Ukr.].
- Poltorak, A. & Palamarchuk, V. (2019). Lending to Higher Education as a Factor of Strengthening Ukraines Financial Security. Modern Economics, 16(2019), 135-144. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V16(2019)-20 [in Ukr.].
- Smith, K. M, Machalaba, C. C., Seifman, R., Feferholtz, Ya., Karesh, W. B. (2019). Infectious disease and economics: The case for considering multi-sectoral impacts. One Health, 7, 100080. doi: 10.1016/j.onehlt.2018.100080.
- Sanders, G. D., Neumann, P. J., Basu, A., Brock, D. W., Feeny, D., Krahn, M. (2016). Recommendations for conduct, methodological practices, and reporting of cost-effectiveness analyses second panel on cost-effectiveness in health and medicine. JAMA, 316, 1093-
- Otte, M. J., Hinrichs, J., Rushton, J., Roland-Holst, D., Zilberman, D. (2008). Impacts of avian influenza virus on animal production in developing countries perspectives in agriculture, veterinary science, nutrition and natural resources. CABI, 3(080). Retrieved from: http://surl.li/bwjj.
- Alfaro-Murillo, J. A., Parpia, A. S., Fitzpatrick, M. C., Tamagnan, J. A., Medlock, J., Ndeffo-Mbah, M. L. (2016). A cost-effectiveness tool for informing policies on Zika virus control. PLoS Negl. Trop. Dis, 10(5). doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0004743.
- Peyre, M., Chevalier, V., Abdo-Salem, S., Velthuis, A., Antoine-Moussiaux, N. & Thiry, E. (2015). A systematic scoping study of the socio-economic impact of Rift Valley fever: research gaps and needs. Zoonoses Public Health, 62, 309-325.
- Hosono, H., Kono, H., Ito, S. & Shirai, J. Economic impact of Nipah virus infection outbreak in Malaysia. Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Veterinary Epidemiology and Economics. 2006. Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine; National Institute of Animal Health. Retrieved from: www.sciquest.org.nz/node/63964.
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2018). On the national security of Ukraine (Act No. 2469-VIII, June 21). Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2469-19/page [in Ukrainian].
- Pidkhomny, O. M. (2015). Financial security of Ukraine: methodology of analysis and strategic guidelines (Doctor of Science Thesis). Finance and Credit. Lviv: Ivan Franko National University of Lviv [in Ukrainian].
- Vyshnevskaya, O. M., Mashevskaya,, Klimenko, V. (2016). Components and factors influencing the formation of economic security of the state. Global and national economic problems, 10, 924–927 [in Ukrainian].
- Sirenko, N., Prokopenko, N., Poltorak, A., Melnyk, O., Trusevich I. (2019). Behavioral approach to monitoring the financial security of state. Management Theory and Studies for Rural Business and Infrastructure Development, 41, 1, 107-117.
Received: 10 October 2020
How to quote this article?
|Poltorak A., Kazemyrchyk M., Polishchuk A. (2020). Priority Threats to Financial Security in the conditions of the Modern Economy Transformation. Modern Economics, 24(2020), 157-163. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V24(2020)-25.|