|JEL Classification: М13; М21; D81
Nazarenko Sergey, Doctor of Economics, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Management and Economic Security, The Bohdan Khmelnytsky National University of Cherkassy, Cherkassy, Ukraine
Nosan Natalia, Candidate of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor, Associate Professor of the Department of Management and Economic Security, The Bohdan Khmelnytsky National University of Cherkassy, Cherkassy, Ukraine
Risk Management in the Economic Activity of Small Enterprises: Modern Imperatives
Annotation. Introduction. Small business is a basis of market relations, creating new working places, paying mandatory payments to budget, being able to adapt quickly to market needs. Like any economic entity, small businesses operate at risk. However, the risk that causes little discomfort to a large enterprise can be catastrophic for a small business.
Purpose. Research of modern risks in the activity of small business and preconditions for using of risk management in their economic activity.
Results. It is noted that risks are inherent in any stage of entrepreneurial activity, the essence of which involves their acceptance and processing. It is indicated that small business, as an important component of market relations, is more sensitive to various risks compared to large businesses. Identification and effective risk management in nowadays challenges is a necessary component of any enterprise’s management, especially of small businesses. It is noted that the risk management system, which is aimed at ensuring the required level of enterprise’s resilience to possible threats to its sustainable development, involves the involvement of specialists managers. However, in a small business, these functions are usually entrusted to a manager who performs various tasks at the same time. The main groups of risks of economic activity of small enterprises in Ukraine at the present stage, considering their origin, level of influence, spheres and scales of distribution (market, administrative and legal, financial, personnel, investment and innovation, reputation, commercial, information and digital, globalization risks) are presented and characterized. Modern characteristic features of domestic practice in risk management which cause additional difficulties, in particular, in small business activity are presented: non-transparency of economic processes, lack of standards of risk management and appropriate culture of risk management; lack of professionals in the field of risk management with sufficient practical experience.
Conclusions. It is proposed to carry out risk management at all stages of the life cycle of products (services), involving specialists from all departments (areas of activity), taking into account the advice of external experts, analyzing the actions of competitors.
Keywords: management; risk; risk management; small business; enterprise.
- Official site of the State Statistics Committee of Ukraine (2020). Retrieved from: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/ [in Ukrainian].
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. (2003) Commercial Code of Ukraine (Act No. 436-IV, January 16). Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/436-15#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Kravchenko, A. (2008). Functional and integrated approaches to business risk management: theory and practice. Problemy systemnoho pidkhodu v ekonomitsi, 2. Retrieved from: http://www.nbuv.gov.ua/e&journals/PSPE/2008&2/Kravchenko_208.htm [in Ukrainian].
- Vatamanyuk-Zelinska, Z. & Dzyuba, N. P. (2017). Using of risk management in the management system of small enterprise. Investytsii : praktyka ta dosvid, 6, 26–30 [in Ukrainian].
- Vitlinsky, V. & Nakonechny, S. I. (2005). Ryzyk u menedzhmenti. Kyiv, 2005 [in Ukrainian].
- Vinnikova, I. I. & Marchuk, S. V. (2017). Risks in small business. Ekonomika ta suspilstvo : elektronne naukove fakhove vydannia, 11, 177-183 [in Ukrainian].
- Kosovych, I. & Dmytruk, V. O. (2020). Risks of small business development in modern conditions of globalization. Ekonomika ta derzhava, 5, 88-92 [in Ukrainian].
- Tymchenko, I. (2020). Problems of development of small business entities in modern conditions. Problemy upravlinnia ta ekonomiky pidpryiemstv v suchasnykh umovakh : materialy KhVI Mizhnar. nauk.-prakt. konf., Kyiv, 36-38 [in Ukrainian].
- Official site of European Business Association (2020). Retrieved from: https://eba.com.ua/ [in Ukrainian].
- Kravchenko, A. (2007). The state of business risk management: Ukrainian specifics. Problemy systemnoho pidkhodu v ekonomitsi, 3. Retrieved from: http://jrnl.nau.edu.ua/index.php /EPSAE/article/view/3934 [in Ukrainian].
- Khadzhynova, V. & Kurtianyk M. S. (2019). Risk management as a component of financial security management system at enterprise. Visnyk Pryazovskoho derzhavnoho tekhnichnoho universytetu. Seriia : Ekonomichni nauky, 37, 7-13 [in Ukrainian].
- Mahzeb, M. (2020). Risk Management: How Can You Protect Your Small Business? Medium Corporation : web site. Retrieved from: https://medium.com/@mahzeb/risk-management-how-can-you-protect-your-small-business-df647b198294 [in English].
Received: 27 September 2020
How to quote this article?
|Nazarenko S., Nosan N. (2020). Risk Management in the Economic Activity of Small Enterprises: Modern Imperatives. Modern Economics, 23(2020), 143-147. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V23(2020)-23.|