|JEL Classification: F36; H21; Z00
Nechayeva Iryna, PhD (Economics), Associate Professor of the Department of Management, Zaporizhzhia Polytechnic National University, Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine
Tax Reform in the Context of European Integration Processes and the Crisis: Possible Results for Ukraine
Abstract. Introduction. Tax system reform should be built on the basic interpretation of taxes as a means of resources’ reallocation providing with social stability, economy stimulation, social goods’ production, etc. All of the taxes have merits as well as flaws. A typical tax system is a combination of different taxes which, in certain circumstances, requires reformation and modernization. Currently, European integration and crisis represent such circumstances for Ukraine. Meeting requirements and conditions of the EU allows fulfilling society requests and realization of the state commitments. All of the above is possible due to the rational formation and use of public finances one of the main tools of which is tax system optimization. Ukraine should bring the tax system into accordance with the EU standards taking into account the interests of the state and business. Its modernization and prediction for the sustainable development of the business environment will contribute to the increase in the income to the state budget while achieving macroeconomic stability. The matter of tax system reformation is especially acute in crisis since beside threats it creates opportunities for implementation of withdrawn capital tax which will promote business development in the future.
Purpose. Justification of the need to implement a tax on capital in Ukraine under the conditions of integration processes and crisis.
Results. The current work includes analysis of the main elements of the tax systems of Ukraine and the EU countries. It has been established, in particular, that tax proceedings to the budget constitute the main part of the state budget income in Ukraine as well as in countries- members of the EU. The personal income tax, business income tax, excises tax, value-added tax, in their turn, are the main sources of contribution to the state budget. The experience and results of withdrawn capital tax implementation in some countries in the world and the European Union have been researched. It has been established that an increase in investments and GDP is registered in almost all of the analyzed countries.
Conclusions. Implementation of the withdrawn capital tax in Ukraine has been proven to be necessary since it will lead to a decrease in administrative expense and amount of time required to prepare the reports, as well as facilitate running a business, increase the levels of business capitalization, create a more enabling environment for investment and increase investment appeal of Ukraine.
Keywords: European integration; crisis; tax reform; tax system; profit tax; personal income tax; value-added tax; withdrawn capital tax.
- Copenhagen criteria for membership in the European Union. Official site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. Retrieved from https://mfa.gov.ua/yevropejska-integraciya/vidnosini-ukrayina-yes/kopengagenski-kriteriyi-chlenstva-v-yevropejskomu-soyuzi (Accessed 13 January 2020).
- Khomutenko, I., Khomutenko, A. V. (2019). Theoretical basis for the formation of a united Europe. Ekonomika, upravlinnya ta administruvannya, 4 (90), 126-132 [in Ukrainian].
- Pahnenko, O. M., Semenog, A. Ju. (2016). Basic principles of tax policy in the EU at the present stage. Efektyvna ekonomika, 12. Retrieved from http://www.economy.nayka.com.ua/?op=1&z=5317 [in Ukrainian].
- Podviezko, A., Parfenova, L. & Pugachev, (2019). Tax Competitiveness of the New EU Member States J. Risk Financial Management, 12(1), 34. Retrieved from https://www.mdpi.com/1911-8074/12/1/34/htm.
- Efficiency of government spending (2018). Retrieved from http://reports.weforum.org/pdf/gci-2017-2018-scorecard/WEF_GCI_pdf.
- 6. Nechayeva, I. A (2018). Podatok na vyvedenyy kapital – zrostannya investytsiy i aktyvizatsiya biznesu chy ryzyk byudzhetnykh vtrat? [Tax on withdrawals- investment growth and business activation or the risk of budget losses?] Heneruvannya innovatsiy inklyuzyvnoho rozvytku: natsionalʹnyy, rehionalʹnyy, mizhnarodnyy vymir”: materialy Mizhnarodnoyi naukovo-praktychnoyi konferentsiyi (4–5 zhovtnya 2018 roku), [Generation of innovations of inclusive development: national, regional, international dimension”: materials of the International scientific-practical conference (October 4-5, 2018)]. Zaporizhzhya, 397-402 [in Ukrainian].
- Zakha, D. & Betliy, O. (2017). Taxation of Distributed Profits: International Experience. Instytut ekonomichnykh doslidzhenʹ ta politychnykh konsulʹtatsiy. Retrieved from http://www.ier.com.ua/files/publications/Policy_papers/German_advisory_group /2017/PB_03_2017_ukr.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Viietska, O. (2018). Modern trends in corporate income taxation: perspectives of the withdrawn capital tax. Economicha promislovist, 2(82), рр. 23-49. doi: http://doi.org/10.15407/ econindustry2018.02.024 [in Ukrainian].
- Malyshkin, I. & Schulipa, A. O. (2019). Tax on Withdrawn Capital: Accounting and Reporting Issues. Accounting and Finance, 4 (86), pp.29-36. doi https://doi.org/10.33146/2307-9878-2019-4(86)-29-36 [in Ukrainian].
- State Fiscal Service of Ukraine. International experience in modernizing the tax system. Retrieved from http://sfs.gov.ua/arhiv/modernizatsiya-dps-ukraini/arkchiv/mijnarodniy-dosvid-rozvitk/svitovui-dosvid/mrdosvid [in Ukrainian].
- The European Union explained: Taxation: European Commission. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/taxation/gen_info/tax_policy/taxation_internal_market_en.pdf
- Stiglitz, , Rinaldi, D., Schratzenstaller, M. (2019). Reforming tax policy: a European fight! We don’t need less, we need better taxation. Retrieved from https://progressivepost.eu/debates/reforming-tax-policy-a-european-fight.
- Western European economies saddled with tax burden 40% higher than the global average. Retrieved from https://www.uhy.com/western-european-economies-saddled-with-tax-burden-40-higher-than-the-global-average/.
- Revenue Statistics 2019 Tax revenue trends in the OECD (2019). Retrieved from https://www.oecd.org/tax/tax-policy/revenue-statistics-highlights-brochure.pdf.
- Eurostat: Your key to European statistics: Products Datasets : Main national accounts tax aggregates. Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/en/web/products-datasets/-/GOV_10A_TAXAG.
- Official site of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine (2020)/ Revenues of the state budget of Ukraine. Retrieved from https://index.minfin.com.ua/ua/finance/budget/gov/income/2014/.
- Asen, E. (2019). Top Individual Income Tax Rates in Europe. Retrieved from https://taxfoundation.org/top-individual-income-tax-rates-europe-2019/.
- Trading economics. List of Countries by Corporate Tax Rate. Europe. Retrieved from https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/corporate-tax-rate?continent=europe.
- Asen, E. (2020). 2020 VAT Rates in Europe. Retrieved from https://taxfoundation.org/european-union-value-added-tax-2020/.
- TADAT – Tax Administration Diagnostic Assessment Tool. Designed to provide an objective health assessment of a tax administration. Retrieved from https://www.tadat.org/home.
- Economy Profile Ukraine. Doing business 2020. Retrieved from https://www.doingbusiness.org/content/dam/doingBusiness/ country/u/ukraine/UKR.pdf.
- 22. 4 facts about taxes in Ukraine (2019). Retrieved from https://bakertilly.ua/news/id45586 [in Ukrainian].
- Nechayeva, I. (2020). Social insurance system reformation as means of socioeconomic security enhancement during the permanent economic crisis in Ukraine,Derzhavne upravlinnya: udoskonalennya ta rozvytok, 4. DOI: 32702/2307-2156-2020.4.58 [in Ukrainian].
- 24. Official web portal of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. On amendments to the Tax Code of Ukraine regarding the tax on withdrawn capital. Retrieved from http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=64356 [in Ukrainian].
- Estonia Statistics. Statistical database. Retrieved from http://pub.stat.ee/px-web.2001/I_Databas/Economy/08Finance/ 06Government_finances/08Taxes/08Taxes.asp.
- 26. Rybakov, D., Yavorsʹkyy, P. & Kharlamov, P. (2020). Liberalʹni reformy: z choho skladayetʹsya «ekonomichne dyvo» Hruziyi, Slovachchyny, Estoniyi, Velykoyi Brytaniyi ta Polʹshchi. Choho dovelosya pozbutysya tsym krayinam ta choho vdalosya dosyahty [Liberal reforms: what constitutes the “economic miracle” of Georgia, Slovakia, Estonia, the United Kingdom and Poland. What these countries had to get rid of and what they managed to achieve]. Retrieved from https://mind.ua/publications/20209677-liberalni-reformi-z-chogo-skladaetsya-ekonomichne-divo-gruziyi-slovachchini-estoniyi-velikoyi-britan [in Ukrainian].
- Macedonia: Foreign Direct Investment, billion dollars. Retrieved from https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/ Macedonia/fdi_dollars/.
- Moldova – Foreign Direct Investment, billion dollars. Retrieved from https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/Moldova /fdi_dollars/.
- Moldova – GDP, constant dollars. Retrieved from https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/Moldova/GDP_constant_dollars/.
- Naloge na vyvedennyy kapital: tekushchiye masshtaby ukloneniy, keys Gruzii i potentsial’nyy razmer poter’ byudzheta [About the Withdrawn Capital Tax: Current Scale of Evasion, the Case of Georgia and the Potential Size of Budget Losses] Retrieved from http://ua-outlook.com.ua/ru/2018/01/26/corporatetax/ [in Ukrainian].
- IMF staff country reports (2017). Georgia : First Review under the Extended Fund Facility and Request for Modification of Performance Criteria-Press Release; and Staff Report. Retrieved from https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/CR/Issues /2017/12/07/Georgia-First-Review-under-the-Extended-Fund-Facility-and-Request-for-Modification-of-45448.
- Ministry of Finance Republic of Tax system in Latvia 06.02.2020. Retrieved from https://www.fm.gov.lv/en/s/taxes/.
- Latvian businesses upbeat on recent tax reforms. Retrieved from https://eng.lsm.lv/article/economy/business/latvian-businesses-upbeat-on-recent-tax-reforms.a318301/.
- Doing Business – 2020. Comparing Business Regulation in 190 Economies. Retrieved from https://arabic.doingbusiness.org/ content/dam/doingBusiness/pdf/db2020/Doing-Business-2020.pdf.
- Kryza – vikno mozhlyvostey dlya radykalʹnykh ekonomichnykh reform v Ukrayini [The crisis is a window of opportunity for radical economic reforms in Ukraine]. Retrieved from https://www.uifuture.org/publications/news/25399-kryza/vikno/mozlyvostey/dla/ radykalnyh/reform?fbclid=iwar3r0vumopygnrdmhdbfzukyqxl42kj7xtpuhkxxddxbw2hjehv7bci5btm [in Ukrainian].
Received: 12 August 2020
How to quote this article?
|Nechayeva I. (2020). Tax Reform in the Context of European Integration Processes and the Crisis: Possible Results for Ukraine. Modern Economics, 22(2020), 64-71. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V22(2020)-10.|