JEL Classification: E50; E58; E59
Baryshevska Inna, Candidate of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of Finance, Banking and Insurance, Mykolayiv National Agrarian University, Mykolayiv, Ukraine
Kamashev Andrey, applicant higher education, Mykolayiv National Agrarian University, Mykolaiv, Ukraine
THE BANKING SYSTEM OF UKRAINE: REALITIES AND PROSPECTS
Introduction. The economic crisis, the depreciation of the national currency, the systemic banking crisis occurring in Ukraine is a source of further instability and slowdown of economic growth, rising unemployment, deepening poverty and worsening socio-political situation. Modern state of Ukrainian economy requires a robust and efficient banking system, which plays a key role in stabilizing the financial system upon which we can solve the pressing economic and social problems of development of society.
Purpose. The purpose of this article is to study the basic indicators of the banking system in Ukraine and systematization of the priority directions of its development.
Results. The article investigates the realities and defines the prospects of the banking system in Ukraine. The essence of the banking system as an organizational set of different types of banks in their interrelationship, which exists in one or another country in the corresponding period, is determined. It is noted that banks act as one of the oldest and largest financial intermediary assets. The dynamics of changes in the number of banks is analyzed and the main reasons for reducing their number are determined. The structure of ownership assets of the banking system in Ukraine is determined. The amount of client loan portfolio was investigated and the reasons for its reduction were determined. The main indicators of the banking system performance for the period under study are presented. The SWOT analysis of the banking system development in Ukraine was considered, the strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and threats were identified. The main perspective measures for the normal functioning of the banking system in Ukraine are outlined. It was investigated that the formation of a resource base for the purpose of financial provision of the real sector economy’s with sufficient sources of resources is the most important function of the banking system.
Conclusions. The banking system of Ukraine is on the path of reform, necessary measures are being taken for normal functioning, including: the strengthening of the banking system of Ukraine and increasing its resistance to crises; the strengthening of confidence in the banking system by depositors and investors; enhancing the activities of banks on attraction of means and their transformation into loans for the real sector of the economy; deepening the integration of the banking system in Ukraine in world financial space.
Keywords: banking system, banking system assets, loan portfolio, client, SWOT-analysis, the results of the banking system in Ukraine.
- Feygin, G. (2008), Natsionalnyie ekonomiki v epohu globalizatsii: perspektivyi Rossii [National economies in the era of globalization: Russia’s prospects], Izd-vo SPb GUP, S.Pb. Russia.
- Mazhula, O. (2014), “Institutionalization of customs security as an important component of the economic security of the state”, Efektivna ekonomika, vol. 11, pp. 78-84.
- Regulation (eu) no 952/2013 of the european parliament and of the council of 9 October 2013 laying down the Union Customs Code [Online], available at: https://goo.gl/zUJe6Q.
- Nestorishen, I. (2017), “Vektori transformatsiyi zabezpechennya natsionalnoyi bezpeki v sferi zovnishnoekonomichnoyi diyalnosti”, Ekonomika, finansy, bukhhalters’kyy oblik: suchasnyy stan i perspektyvy rozvytku [Economics, finance, accounting: current state and development prospects], zbirnyk tez dopovidey Mizhnarodnoyi naukovo-praktychnoyi konferentsiyi [A collection of abstracts of the International Scientific and Practical Conference], TsFEND, Poltava, Ukraine, pp. 36-38.
- SAFE Framework of Standards to Secure and Facilitate Global Trade / World Customs Organization, 2015 [Online], available at: https://goo.gl/MFAo31.
- International convention on the simplification and harmonization of customs procedures (as amended) / World Customs Organization [Online], available at: https://goo.gl/uPcxhC.
- Agreement on Trade Facilitation [Ministerial Decision of 7 December 2013]. – [Electronic resource] [Online], available at: https://goo.gl/rWQVqT.
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2015), “On ratification of the Protocol on the Amendment to the Marrakech Agreement Establishing the World Trade Organization”, Vidomosti Verhovnoyi Radi (VVR), vol. 49-50, st. 456.
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (2016), “On Amendments to the Customs Code of Ukraine on the Authorized Economic Operator and Customs Clearance Simplifications” [Online], available at: https://goo.gl/fEJTPP.