Nurhayati, the student of Faculty of Economy, Sriwijaya University, Palembang, Indonesia
Didik Susetyo, Doctor of Economy, Professor, Sriwijaya University, Palembang, Indonesia
Luk Luk Fuadah, Doctor of Economy, Sriwijaya University, Palembang, Indonesia
The Effect of Financial Policy on Tax Aggressiveness for Manufacturing Companies Listed at Indonesia Stock Exchange
Abstract. Introduction. This study aims to determine the effect of financial policy on tax aggressiveness for manufacturing companies listed at Indonesia Stock Exchange. Financial policy is measured by financial ratios. The financial ratios consist of debt ratio, long-term debt ratio, the market to book ratio, return on assets (ROA) and inventory turnover ratio. Researchers use effective tax rate (ETR) as a measure of corporate tax aggressiveness. The objects of this research were manufacturing companies listed on the Indonesia Stock Exchange period 2013-2016. The number of samples was 64 manufacturing companies. The data used was a combination of time series and cross section data so that it used regression analysis of data panel.
Purpose. The purpose of this research to get empirical evidence the influence of financial policy toward tax aggressiveness among manufacturing companies listed on the Indonesia Stock Exchange.
Results. The results of this research indicated that the variable of debt ratio, long-term debt ratio, the market to book ratio, return on assets and inventory turnover simultaneously had an effect on tax aggressiveness. Partially, there were only two variables that influenced tax aggressiveness namely debt ratio and return on assets, whereas the long-term debt ratio variable, the market to book ratio and inventory turnover were not significantly influenced tax aggressiveness.
Conclusion. If the debt is high, the interest expense will increase, so the tendency of companies to carry out tax aggressiveness will decrease. Financing using debt will increase costs in financial statements that affect the achievement of company profits. Companies with high Market Book Value Ratios tend to reduce costs in financial reporting. In other words, they are more aggressive towards financial statements. Assets are a source of funding from internal capital; therefore, agents try to maximize the management of internal assets in creating corporate profits. Inventory as part of investment is not the right way to implement a strategy to minimize the tax burden.
Keywords: the financial ratio; tax aggressiveness; financial policy.
- Adisamartha, Ida Bagus Putu Fajar and Noviari, Naniek. (2015). Pengaruh likuiditas, leverage, intensitas persediaan dan intensitas aset tetap pada tingkat agresivitas wajib pajak badan. E-Jurnal Akuntansi Universitas Udayana, 13, 973-1000.
- Ah Lee, Yunsung and Koh, Yunsung. (2015). The effect of financial factors on firms’ financial and tax reporting decisions. Asian Review of Accounting, 23, 110-138. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/ARA-01-2014-0016.
- Alim, S. (2009). Manajemen laba dengan motivasi pajak pada badan usaha manufaktur di Indonesia. Jurnal Keuangan dan Perbankan, 13, 444-
- Ariyanti, F. (2016). Membongkar strategi penghindaran pajak Google di dunia. DOI: http://bisnis.liputan6.com/read/2626083/Membongkar-Strategi-Penghindaran-Pajak-Google-Di-Dunia.
- Chen, Shuping., Chen, Xia., Cheng, Qiang and Shevlin, Terry. (2010). Are family firms more tax aggressive than nonfamily firms? Journal of Financial Economics, 91, 41-61.
- Collins, Julie H. & Shackelford, Douglas A. (1992). Foreign tax credit limitations and preferred stock issuances. America: Journal of Accounting Research, Studies on Accounting and Taxation, 30, 103-124.
- Dewi, Lindira Sukma and Ulupui, I Gusti Ketut Agung. (2014). Pengaruh pajak penghasilan dan asset perusahaan pada earnings management. E-Jurnal Akuntansi Universtitas Udayana, 250-259. http://ojs.unud.ac.id/index.php/akuntansi/archives/view/9569.
- Erickson, M., Hanlon, M. & Maydew, E. (2004). How much will firms pay for earnings that do not exist? Evidence of taxes paid on allegedly fraudulent earnings. The Accounting Review, 79, 387-408. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2308/accr.2004.79.2.387.
- Frank, M., Lynch, Luann J., & Rego, S. O. (2009). Tax reporting aggressiveness and its relation to aggressive financial reporting. The Accounting Review, 84, 467-496. DOI: http://doi.org/10.2308/accr.2009.84.2.467.
- Fung, Simon Y.K & Goodwin, J. (2013). Short-term debt maturity, monitoring and accruals-based earnings management. Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, 9, 71-105. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcae.2013.01.002.
- Hanlon, M. & Slemrod, J. (2007). What does tax aggressiveness signal? Evidence from stock price reactions to news about tax shelter involvement. Journal of Public Economics, 1998, 198. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpubeco.2008.09.004.
- Jensen, M. C. & Meckling, W. (1967). Theory of the Firm: managerial Behavior, Agency Costs and Ownership Structure. Journal of Financial Economics, 3, 305-360. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.94043 .
- Lamont, O. (1997). Cash flow and investment: Evidence from internal capital markets. Journal of Finance, 52, 83-110. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2329557.
- Lanis, R. and Richardson, G. (2007). Determinants of the variability in corporate effective tax rates and tax form: evidence from Austria. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 26 (6). DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaccpubpol.2007.10.003.
- Mason and Mackie, Jeffrey K. (1989). Do taxes affect corporate financing cecisions? Office of tax policy research. Research-University of Michigan. Retrieved from http://www.bus.umich.edu/OTPR/papers/1990-11.
- Modigliani, Franco & Miller, Merton H. (1958). The cost of capital, corporation finance and the theory of investment. The America Economic Review, 48 (3), 261-297.
- Modigliani, Franco dan Miller, Merton H. (1963). Corporate income taxes and the cost of capital. The American Economic Review, 53, 433-443.
- Newberry, K. J & Novack, G. (1999). The effect of taxes on corporate debt maturity decisions: an analysis of public and private bond offerings. Journal of The American Taxation Association, 53, 1-16. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2308/jata.19184.108.40.206.
- Shin, Hyun-Han and Stulz, René M. (1998). Are internal capital markets ffficient? The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 113 (2), 531-552.
- Siregar, Baldric. dkk. (2013). Akuntansi Manajemen. Salemba Empat. Jakarta. Retrieved from http://www.penerbitsalemba.com.
- Suandy, Erly. (2011). Perencanaan Pajak (Edisi 3). Salemba Empat. Jakarta. Retrieved from http://www.penerbitsalemba.com.
- Suryowati, E. (2016). Terkuak, Modus Penghindaran Pajak Perusahaan Jasa Kesehatan Asal Singapura. Retrieved from http://ekonomi.kompas.com.
- Wahab, S. A. (2012). Analisis Kebijakan. PT BumiAksara. Jakarta. http://bumiaksara.com.
Received: 13 January 2019
How to quote this article?
|Nurhayati, Didik Susetyo & Luk Luk Fuadah (2019). The Effect of Financial Policy on Tax Aggressiveness for Manufacturing Companies Listed at Indonesia Stock Exchange. Modern Economics, 13(2019), 180-186. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V13(2019)-28.|