JEL Classification: G21, E58, C5.
Onyshchenko Yu., Candidate of Sciences (Economics), Associate Professor, Department of Banking, Odessa National Economic University, Odessa, Ukraine
Rimko O., student of the 6th year of the Faculty of Economics and Finance, Odessa National Economic University, Odessa, Ukraine
THE INFLUENCE OF THE SYSTEMICALLY IMPORTANT BANKS ON THE UKRAINIAN BANKING SYSTEM
Introduction. From the economic theory, as well as from the studies of domestic and foreign scientists, it is known about many factors that affect the stability of the banking system. In the current conditions of Ukrainian banking system functioning there is a new factor that can influence on its stable development. And this factor is activity of the systemically important banks that determines the topicality of the research. The object of the research is the influence of systemically important banks functioning on the banking systems of Ukraine. The subject of the research is the theoretical and practical bases of systemically important bank influence and regulation in the Ukrainian banking system.
Purpose. The purpose of the article is to estimate the influence of the systemically important banks on the Ukrainian banking system and to offer recommendations on their regulation in Ukraine.
Results. Modeling results of depending Ukrainian banking system on the systemically important banks show that models with the indicators issued by the National Bank of Ukraine for the identification of the systemically important banks do not affect on such indicators as the level of the banking system development, the level of credit depth and asset profitability, but only influence on such indicators as level of public confidence in the banking system and profitability of capital.
Conclusions. In today’s conditions for the National bank of Ukraine the actual task is to ensure the regulation of the systemically important bank activity. The procedure for regulating the systemically important bank activity should take into account not only the general specifics of the banking sector (for example, concentration), but also the importance of the each bank activity (its role for a particular segment of the market or economy).
Keywords: bank, systemically important banks, systemic risk, financial crisis, banking system, regulation.
- Yaseen, A. (2012), “Managing SystemicallyImportant Financial Institutions (SIFIs)”, Regional Consultative Groupfor Asia, vol. 3, p. 34.
- Aleskerov, F. Penikas, H. Andrievskaya, I. Grigiriyev, D. and Lvov, N. (2011), “The analyze of options about regulation of the systemically important banks”, Bankovskoe delo, 11, p. 26–29.
- Zherdetska, L. (2017), “Problems of identification and regulation of systemically important banks”, The Economic herald of the Zaporizhya Government Academy, vol. 6(12), p. 94.
- Lavrenuk, V. (2014), “Systemically important banks and their impact on banking system”, Ph.D. dissertation, KNEU, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Sinki, D. (2007), “Financial management in commerce bank and in financial industry”, Alpina Bussines book, p.71.
- Soramäki, K. and Cook, S. (2012), “Algorithm for Identifying Systemically Important Banks in Payment Systems”, Economics Discussion Papers, vol. 42, available at: https://goo.gl/RjyuVp
- Globally systemically important banks: updated аssessment methodology and the additional loss absorbency requirement, BIS, available at: http://www.bis.org/publ/bcbs255.pdf
- Indicators of the activities of banks in Ukraine, available at: http://www.bank.gov.ua/Bank_supervision/dynamics.htm
- The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2000), “The banks and banking acitivity” 12.2000 № 2121-III, available at: http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2121-14.
- The information portal of the National bank of Ukraine, available at: https://goo.gl/kU4K8G
- The National bank of Ukraine (2015), “On Approval of Changes to the Instruction on the Procedure for Regulating the Activities of Banks of Ukraine” №312.