JEL Classification: L31, H50
Tkachuk Iryna, Ph.D., Associate Professor of the Finance and Credit Department, Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University, Chernivtsi, Ukraine, Research Fellow of Dr. Jan.-U. Sandal Institute, Finstadjordet, Norway
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1081-8693
THE STATE FUNDING OF STATUTORY ACTIVITIES OF POLITICAL PARTIES IN UKRAINE AS AN INNOVATION AGAINST POLITICAL CORRUPTION
Introduction. The existing methods of fighting against political corruption, which are used in Ukraine, are not effective. That is why the logic of financing the activities of political parties should be changed.
Purpose. The aim of the article is to investigate the peculiarities of introduction and application the State funding of statutory activities of political parties in the context of fighting with corruption in Ukraine.
Results. The political corruption as an element, which destroys the logic of relations between the State, Society, and Business was highlighted. The necessity of using democratic innovations to fight out the political corruption in Ukraine was proved.
The article describes the preconditions for the introduction of state financing of statutory activities of Ukrainian political parties (the availability of such kind of financial support for the activities of political parties in developed economically countries of the world and the existence of requirements for its introduction from the side of intergovernmental organizations of various kinds of activity).
The peculiarities of the provision of financial support to political parties from the State Budget of Ukraine were clarified and prospects for the period until the next parliamentary elections were marked.
The main goals of implementation of the state funding of statutory activities of political parties in Ukraine and the result of it in the present stage were compared.
Conclusions. The study showed, that the introduction of state funding of statutory activities of political parties in Ukraine allowed not all the goals (and not fully) to be achieved. Nevertheless, it should be noted that in the countries with the experience of supporting the statutory activities of political parties from the state budget, the process has been adjusted and the law has worked “efficiently” only in 8-10 years. Therefore, given the positive aspects that characterize the state support of political parties in Ukraine in such a short period of time, one should expect a positive final result.
Keywords: innovations, corruption, political parties, state financing, state budget, minimum wage.
- Alexis de Tocqueville on the Tyranny of the Majority (3 lessons) (2015), available at: https://edsitement.neh.gov/curriculum-unit/alexis-de-tocqueville-tyranny-majority (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Begovic, B. (2005), Corruption: Concepts, Types, Causes, and Consequences. Center for International Private Enterprise, available at: https://www.cipe.org/legacy/publication-docs/032105.pdf (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Bhargava, V. (2005), The Cancer of Corruption, World Bank Global Issues Seminar Series, available at: http://siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTABOUTUS/Resources/Corruption.pdf (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Bondarenko, B. (2016), “Financing of political parties in Ukraine: Ukrainian and international evidence”, available at: https://ukr.lb.ua/blog/education_assembly/355836_finansuvannya_politichnih_partiy.html (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Brusentsova, Ya. (2016), Financing of political parties: information for all, available at: https://i.factor.ua/ukr/journals/ms/2016/december/issue-12/article-23928.html (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Central Election Commision (2014), “About the results of elections of deputies of Ukraine in the national multi-mandate constituency”, available at: http://www.cvk.gov.ua/info/protokol_bmvo_ndu_26102014.pdf (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- CESifo DICE (2014), Financing of political parties: Public funding to political parties, available at: https://www.cesifo-group.de/ifoHome/facts/DICE/Public-Sector/Public-Governance-and-Law/Financing-of-Political-Parties/Financing-political-parties-public-funding/fileBinary/Financing-political-parties-public-funding.pdf (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Elstub S. and Escobar O. (2017). A Typology of Democratic Innovations, Paper for the Political Studies Association’s Annual Conference, 10th -12th April 2017, Glasgow, available at: https://www.psa.ac.uk/sites/default/files/conference/papers/2017/A%20Typology%20of%20Democratic%20Innovations%20-%20Elstub%20and%20Escobar%202017.pdf (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Freedom House (2018), Freedom in the world. Ukraine, available at: https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2018/ukraine (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Geißel, B. (2012), “Impacts of democratic innovations in Europe: findings and desiderata”, in B. Geißel & K. Newton (eds.), Evaluating Democratic Innovations. Curing the democratic malaise, London and New York: Routledge, pp. 163-183.
- Golubov, O. Has the state funding of political parties in Ukraine helped them to be more transparent, available at: http://www.dw.com/uk/чи-допомогло-державне-фінансування-партій-в-україні-зробити-їх-прозорішими/a-36039952 (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Kopytko, T. (2015). The State financing of political parties in Ukraine: pros and cons, available at: http://nbuviap.gov.ua/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1591:byudzhetne-finansuvannya-politichnikh-partij-2&catid=111&Itemid=442 (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- MinFin (2018). Average wages, available at: https://index.minfin.com.ua/ua/labour/salary/average
- Obushnyy, S. M. (2008), The financial provision of political parties’ activity in Ukraine. Manuscript. Dissertation for scientific degree of the candidate of economic sciences on the specialty 08.00.08 – money, finance, and credit, Kyiv National University named after Taras Shevchenko.
- Smith, G. (2009), Democratic innovations: Designing institutions for citizen participation, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2018). Official materials, available at: http://database.ukrcensus.gov.ua/PXWEB2007/ukr/publ_new1/2017/zb_chnn_0117.pdf (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- The Nature and Importance of innovations, available at: http://assets.press.princeton.edu/chapters/s9221.pdf (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Transparency international, What is corruption? available at: https://www.transparency.org/what-is-corruption (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (1984), The Code of Ukraine on Administrative Offenses (the version of 2018), available at: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/80731-10/print (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2015), “Explanatory note to the draft of Law of Ukraine “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Prevention and Counteraction of Political Corruption”, available at: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=55653 (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2015), “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Prevention and Counteraction of Political Corruption”, available at: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/731-19 (Accessed 25 June 2018).
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2016), On Political Parties in Ukraine, available at: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2365-14/conv/page2 (Accessed 25 June 2018).