JEL Classification: G 21, G 24.
Malinovskaya Irina, applicant for higher education of Accounting and Finance faculty, Mykolayiv National Agrarian University, Mykolayiv, Ukraine
ESSENCE OF ACTIVE OPERATIONS OF COMMERCIAL BANKS
Introduction. Constant changes in the economic situation in the country and in the world give rise to new problems in asset management of commercial banks. This, in turn, requires the timely development and introduction of new and improved mechanisms for active operations of banking institutions. Only the implementation of such adequate mechanisms will allow, on the one hand, to satisfy the needs of consumers of banking services, and on the other – for banking institutions, to obtain the necessary level of profit for the acceptable risk to them.
Purpose. Substantiation of theoretical foundations of organization and management of assets of banking institutions and determination of perspective directions of development of active operations in commercial banks.
Results. The article provides a list of operations carried out by commercial banks of Ukraine. The essence of the concept of active operations of a banking institution as an important element of its activity for profit is considered. Possible variants of classification of active operations are analyzed, depending on the criterion underlying (risk level, liquidity and term of putting). The definition of a bank loan and its basic principles are given. The purposes and advantages of investment activity of banking institutions are specified, the classification of such activity is carried out. Proposed directions of development of active operations of banking institutions through the use of intermediary operations and unconventional banking services are offered.
Conclusions. Currently, banking institutions carry out a large number of different banking operations. Mobilized by carrying out passive operations cash funds of the banking institution are placed through active operations in different directions. The basis of active operations of a commercial bank is its credit and investment operations. A commercial bank’s profits in the future are dependent on their effective conduct. The conduct of active operations by a commercial bank will be considered effective if, in the course of these operations, it receives a stable profit. Balanced growth of assets and improvement of their quality is a prerequisite for achieving and maintaining the stable functioning and development of commercial banks and their positive impact on the development of the Ukrainian economy.
Keywords: commercial bank, assets, active operations, asset liquidity, lending, investment activity, factoring, trust operations.
- Aleksandrova, M. M. & Maslova, S. O. (2015), Finansy. Kredyt [Money. Finances. Credit], TsUL, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Vasiurenko, V. (2004), Bankivski operatsii [Banking operations], Znannia, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Voloshyn, (2015), “Optimal management of retail lending to the bank”, Visnyk Natsionalnoho banku Ukrainy, vol. 5, pp. 22-27.
- Ivanylova, A. (2015), “Improving the tools of portfolio management of assets of a commercial bank”, Visnyk Zaporizkoho natsionalnoho universytetu, vol. 2, pp. 210-216.
- Karcheva, T. (2012), “Effective management of assets and liabilities – a prerequisite for financial stability of the bank”, Naukovyi visnyk ChDIEU, vol. 1, pp. 240-249.
- The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2000), “On banks and banking activities”, available at: http://zakon.rada.gov.ua (Accessed 08 October 2017).
- Mishchenko, Krylova, V. & Nikonova, M. (2013), “Restructuring of loans in crisis: world experience and possibilities of application in Ukraine”, Visnyk NBU, vol. 5, pp. 12-17.
- The national Bank of Ukraine, available at: http://www.bank.gov.ua (Accessed 16 November 2017).
- Piroh, V. (2015), “Estimation of the quality of the bank’s loan portfolio taking into account the implementation of the economic norms of the NBU ”, Naukovyi visnyk NLTU Ukrainy, vol. 5, pp. 228-235.
- Prymostka, O. Chub, P. M. & Karcheva, H. T. (2016), Upravlinnia bankivskymy ryzykamy [Management of bank risks], KNEU, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Lindgren, J. Garcia, G. & Mathew, S. (1996), Bank soundness and macroeconomic policy, International Monetary Fund, Washington.